We live in a time of changes that include accelerating globalization, mounting quantities of information, the growing hegemony of science and technology, and the clash of civilizations. Those changes call for new ways of learning and thinking in school, business, and the professions. In this audiobook, psychologist Howard Gardner defines the cognitive abilities that will command a premium in the years ahead:
- The disciplinary mind - master of major schools of thought.
- The synthesizing mind - ability to integrate ideas.
- The creating mind - capacity to uncover and clarity problems, questions and phenomena.
- The respectful mind - awareness of and appreciation for differences among human beings.
- The ethical mind - fulfillment of one's responsibilities.
Armed with these well-honed capacities, a person will be equipped to deal with what is expected in the future-as well as what cannot be anticipated. Without these "minds," individuals will be at the mercy of forces they can't understand-overwhelmed by information, unable to succeed in the workplace, and incapable of making judicious decisions about personal and professional matters.